February 6th, 2013

humped zebra

Well, I didn't expect that

The BSA National Executive Board has postponed a decision on admitting gays to membership until its National Meeting in May. Parturient montes, and all that. I was praying and preparing myself for the vote to go either way, and now I'm not sure what to think.

Proponents of the policy change must have thought they could win a vote on the Board with minimal ruckus. Then they ran into the opposition of everyone else whose acquiescence they were assuming. The Religious Relationships Task Force, of which I used to be a member, asked the national leadership on Monday to postpone the vote. They have now done so.

This means that incredible pressure and hooey on both sides will be flying around all the way up to the May National Meeting. Lots of crazy things are going to be said; you have been warned. In the meantime, there are still kids to lead and events to plan and ministry to be conducted. We can't let this looming decision distract us from the business at hand.