I walked into church early this morning and was immediately asked if I could play for the hymns. I was surprised, but of course was willing to fill in. Our usual accompanist was out of town, it seems. And Rose, our pastor, who would usually fill in, was home, rotten sick. So I asked Jon, who was leading the service, if they needed me to do communion as well (it was a communion Sunday). And so I played for two hymns and led communion, and led them in an old camp meeting song a cappella to conclude the service. Rose had texted me earlier this morning, but I didn't look at my phone. I just assumed whoever was texting me early Sunday morning was another in the series of people who were texting each other in a group including me at midnight to wish each other Happy New Year. So I walked in blind and unprepared. But God provides. Indeed, I take it as a comfort and a bit of a confirmation of my call that when I was needed I was present and equipped to do what was required. And some of that is more than just the benefit of past experience, but present empowerment, because halfway through the service, my head started spinning around and I realized that I had forgotten to take my medicine this morning. My blood pressure was probably heading for Mars by the time I got up to pray. I am home, full of the right pills, and resting with a cat on my lap. 'Sall good. Thank you, Lord, for reminding me that you still have a use for me now and then.