aefenglommung (aefenglommung) wrote,

You bet your ash

Today was a good day. I drove over to Wilderstead in a drizzle. When I got to the holler, it was chilly and damp and beautiful with the coming of fall. I fired up the space heater in the cabin and made some coffee. Rested for an hour.

The rain was slacking off, so I went out to mark the ash trees I wanted to save. Emerald Ash Borers have been found in Dearborn County, which means it's only a matter of time until they hit Ohio County. In reading up on this pest, I found that the infestation is supposed to last for 10-12 years; after that, all the untreated ash trees in the area will be dead, whereupon the bugs will die, too. So, if you want to save your ash trees, you've got to treat them. The easiest way to do that is by spraying around them on the cusp of spring (say, first week of April) before the bugs awake. A treatment will last up to two years.

I have quite a number of ash trees, especially around my building site. The ash grove, the ash grove alone is my home and all that. Which meant I needed to mark all the ash trees I want to save around my building site while the leaves were still on them, so I could identify them come next April. I found today that it's not always easy to tell an ash from a walnut, especially if the leaves are all high up in the canopy of the tree. I marked about 18 trees around my building site and main trails, some of which may turn out to be walnuts after all. I'll check more closely in drier weather: it was nasty plunging through the undergrowth to reach the trees to mark them, and just as I was finishing up, the rain started up again.

I went back to the cabin and took off my pants. They were of a quick-drying material, and by hanging them over the space heater, I dried them out quickly. As a bonus, they were toasty warm!

While I was barging around in the wet wild by my wet lone, I found a boonie hat on a fence post. It was all sodden with rain, but I recognized it. I've been looking for it since sometime the end of last June. Nice to have it back, and little the worse for its adventures.

The rain finally quit and the day opened up. I tried to get my chainsaw going, but it was being cranky. I wanted to cut off the branches from the fallen trees that now span the Pishon. Well, I had a half an hour before I had to be on my way, so I got out my trusty bow saw and got all but the biggest ones cut off. I'm going to feel that tomorrow!


Log Bridge in the making
You can see the creek behind all the brush now. The branches below the fallen timbers are actually cut and just lying there. The stream will carry them away in the spring.

I cleaned up the cabin and tootled on over to French, where I dropped off the Raingutter Regatta rig I borrowed from Mike Macku. Then I turned for home. The day was gorgeous, with big fluffy clouds. It didn't last. I hit a lightning- and hailstorm around Belmont and slogged home during rush hour through Bloomington in the rain.

Still and all, though, a pretty good day.


    Indian territory Saturday, May 11, we betook ourselves down to the Visitor Center at the foot of Mesa Verde. Then we drove deep into the park to…


    Being the adventures of Arthur and Deanne Collins there and back again The Bears haven’t had a vacation in many years. For one thing, Deanne had a…

  • Methodist corporate failure

    In a recent post, I talked about companies losing faith in their core products or core processes – the very thing that makes them unique and…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.