What is BEZOAR?
What is DOODLESACK?
What is MARLINSPIKE?
What is PESSARY?
What is SCRIP?
What is THURIBLE?
What is TROCHEE?
What is WHISTLEPIG?
1. A Bezoar is hardened mass formed in the digestive tract of an animal (once thought to be antidote to poison).
2. A Doodlesack is a bagpipe (cf. German Dudelsack.)
3. A Marlinspike is a conical instrument used in splicing rope (also known as a Fid).
4. A Pessary is an internal drug-delivery device similar to a suppository.
5. Scrip consists of counters used to pay workers in place of legal tender. Soldiers serving overseas and coal miners used to be paid in scrip.
6. A Thurible is an incense pot, suspended by chains, and carried in religious procession by a person known as a thurifer.
7. A Trochee is a metrical unit of two syllables where the accent falls on the first syllable, the opposite of an iamb (e.g., "ALL things BRIGHT and BEAU-ti FUL, all CREA-tures GREAT and SMALL---- is trochaic, whereas "The SPLEN-dor FALLS on CAST-le WALLS" is iambic).
8. A Whistlepig is a large ground squirrel, otherwise known as a Groundhog or Woodchuck.